Proposed 2023 Budget and Rates
Moorhead Public Service (MPS) is locally governed by a six-member board of MPS customers known as the Moorhead Public Service Commission (Commission). Each fall, the Commission has the responsibility of establishing the utility’s rates and budget for the upcoming fiscal year. Preliminary estimates indicate that rate increases for MPS customers in 2023 may be between 0 and 4 percent for electric rates and between 2 and 5 percent for water rates.
The Moorhead Public Service Commission will hold a public hearing to consider changes in electric and water rates in Moorhead. The public hearing will be held on Tuesday, October 18, 2022, at 5:30 PM, in the Auditorium at the Hjemkomst Center, 202 First Avenue North, Moorhead, Minnesota.
For thirty (30) days subsequent to the closing of the rate hearing and prior to the adoption of a rate change, written testimony shall be received and considered by the Commission. To be considered by the Commission, written comments should be postmarked no later than Saturday, November 18, 2022, and mailed to: Moorhead Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 779, Moorhead, MN 56561-0779.
A formal decision regarding MPS’ 2023 rates will be determined at the Commission’s meeting on or about December 20, 2022.
Click on the following for information regarding Moorhead Public Service’s (MPS’) proposed 2023 budget and rates:
- Reports to the Moorhead Public Service Commission by MPS staff:
- 08/16/2022 Review Preliminary 2023 Budget Timetable, Appoint Budget Working Group, and Set Date for Water and Electric Rate Hearings
- 08/19/2022 Regional Residential Electric and Water Rate Comparisons
- 10/18/2022 Accept Report #1 on the Proposed 2023 Budget
- 10/18/2022 2023 Electric Rate Hearing – PowerPoint Presentation
- 10/18/2022 2023 Water Rate Hearing – PowerPoint Presentation
- 10/18/2022 Residential Fact Sheet – 2023 Electric and Water Rate Proposals
- 10/18/2022 Commercial/Industrial Fact Sheet – 2023 Electric and Water Rate Proposals
Check back for updates to this information throughout the 2023 budget process.
The graph below shows the current electric grid conditions in the Southwest Power Pool footprint for Moorhead Public Service:
There are two types of energy alerts that will be communicated to Moorhead Public Service (MPS) customers during an energy alert or if controlled outages are necessary:
- Energy Alert: This is the level where MPS will issue a public appeal to reduce energy.
- Energy Emergency: This is the level where MPS will start controlled outages (rolling blackouts).
For more information on current grid conditions in the Southwest Power Pool footprint, please visit https://www.spp.org/markets-operations/current-grid-conditions/
To view currrent levels of the Red River, please visit https://water.weather.gov/resources/hydrographs/fgon8_hg.png
Moorhead Public Service offers rebates for your home and business. The Bright Energy Solutions® program helps you save money, improve comfort, and protect the environment.
For more information on rebates that Moorhead Public Service offers visit https://www.brightenergysolutions.com/municipalities-container/mn/moorhead-public-service/